Pet Loss and Grief Support around the Holidays
The holidays are a time of celebration, but for many that have lost a pet or loved one can find them more challenging than ever. Grief
is an emotion we all share. Whether we miss our loved ones, or even our lives before COVID
, the holidays seem to make us nostalgic and bring our awareness of our losses to the forefront.
Grief comes in many forms as we navigate the changes in our lives.
- Change in a familiar routine such as our lives before COVID
- Medical diagnosis
- Loss of a job
- Unmet hopes or any sort
- Share with someone who honors and understands the special bond you have with your pet
- Hold space for your feelings without judging them.
- Attend a pet loss support group
- See a therapist that specializes in grief support
- Mindfulness meditation
- Immerse yourself in nature
- Seek help from a qualified therapist or grief expert
We talked about how difficult the loss of a pet may be when some respond with "it's just a dog or cat and you can just get another one." There's no time off for grieving a beloved pet.
At this time I reflect on how thankful I am to have my pets and make a difference in the lives of other's pets. Happy Thanksgiving!