Slow Cooker Dog Food Recipe | Turkey with Chicken Hearts and Gizzards
Want to boost your pet’s nutrition and save at the same time? This slow cooker dog food recipe contains turkey with chicken hearts and gizzards added. Organ meat is packed with protein, B vitamins, trace minerals, and COQ10.
The recipe contains the following ingredients:
- 2 pounds of 85% ground turkey
- 1-pound chicken gizzards and hearts
"Tip: You can usually find 1 pound packages of either gizzards or a combination of hearts and gizzards. I do not use just chicken hearts only as there fat content is higher and this did not agree with all of my dogs, whereas the gizzards have less fat and all of my dogs are fine with that. I love that they are nutrient-rich, a great price point, and good use of all parts of the chicken."
- 2 TBSP coconut oil
- 1 pound carrots diced into bite-sized pieces
- 8 ounces of broccoli diced into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups of whole wheat shells
- 5 cups of bone broth or water
- 2 TBSP Holistic Vet Blend Limited blend
- 2 TSP Icelandic Omega-3 fish oil
- Add the coconut and turkey to the slow cooker.
- Break up the meat as you go.
- Add carrots and water and mix further
- Reserve the broccoli to add later as it doesn't take as much time to cook or you can go ahead and add it if you prefer.
- Add the shells on top and be sure to cover the with liquid
- Set the slow cooker on high for 4 hours.
- Add the broccoli and cook for an additional hour.
- Cool the recipe and add the premix supplement and fish oil.
- Freeze what you will not use in 4 days.
13 cups of food at 266 calories/cup